SPD Support Forum

Full Version: DIR/Floortime Therapy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know DIR and Floortime therapy are popular for children with Autism but has anyone tried them with their child with SPD. Sensory Integration Therapy is really not doing anything to help my child be calmer or more socially aware and able to play. Our OT is suggesting perhaps this type of therapy might be beneficial for our goals.
(11-07-2011, 05:54 PM)AngelaVA Wrote: [ -> ]I know DIR and Floortime therapy are popular for children with Autism but has anyone tried them with their child with SPD. Sensory Integration Therapy is really not doing anything to help my child be calmer or more socially aware and able to play. Our OT is suggesting perhaps this type of therapy might be beneficial for our goals.

I think our OT used some of the approaches as part of an integrated type of program with my son when we were going to therapy... it always ended with a Star Wars laser sword thing fight (I know they have a proper name but I'm soo tired tonight! sorry!) and she always died (little boys are lovely, hey?) I understand that it hones in on children's personal motivations to learn how to interact with others and build relationships very successfully - it was developed by Stanley Greenspan I think. I'd be very interested to hear how you get on!

BusyMum
Thanks I am still working on it, it's hard to find a therapist who does this in my area. Hopefully I will have an update soon.