SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Hi!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi my name is Ryan,

I am 49 and not professionally diagnosed. I have been very aware of my differences my whole life but didn't know what to call it. Through me reading and research over the past two years I have begun to understand myself better. I can relate strongly to so many of the things I have read about SPD but am still trying to understand if some of my other issues are related or totally separate.

The most challenging part of my SPD my whole life has had to do with eating. So many foods caused me to gag that I became very set in my ways. Trying new foods seems impossible, too much to ask. This has severely limited my diet to foods which are not so good for me. Another challenging issue I have is social interaction. In small groups, up to 3 and in a quiet setting I can manage ok. More than 3 and I tend to withdraw or avoid them altogether as it seems overwhelming.

As for work I feel very lucky. At least for now I have a good job with great coworkers. I have not discussed my condition with any of them but I get the sense they recognize that I am different. My boss especially seems aware of some of my issues and accommodates them in some ways while challenging me to improve in others.

Things I like...
1) Quiet time
2) Comfortable cloths
3) Dark rooms
4) Structure and routines

Things I don't like..
1) Concerts (too loud and too many people), but I like music
2) Public speaking
3) Trying new foods
4) Going new places
5) Clothing tags and stitching

I am still looking to get a better understanding of some of my challenges, SPD related or not. I have very strong empathetic reactions to certain things on TV or in movies. I can't watch a story about adoption without openly crying. And no I am not adopted. I can't stand to watch videos where people get hurt or embarrassed. Some kinds of comedy I find too embarrassing to watch and have to leave the room.

I have some questions also...

Is it worth getting professionally diagnosed at this point in my life?

Is there any benefit to explaining my condition to anyone at work?

BTW - The account name I choose for this site is a reference to the nickname my dad had for me, The Ghost. I spent so much time isolating as a child. People were hardly aware of my presence even when I was there. In school my siblings friends were often shocked to find out much later that they had a brother attending the same school while they were there.

Thanks for listening.

Ryan
Hi Ryan, welcome to the site!

Wow, I can sure relate to a lot of what you brought up there, from needing to break away whenever in a large group setting to having strong empathetic reactions to movies. Heck, I even recall feeling a bit like a ghost myself. Sometimes I'd step foot outside the door and wonder if the neighbors would be surprised to discover another kid was actually living there. Hah!

As for your questions, I feel the best response is always that it depends upon your situation. If you are having a rough time and feel as though treating SPD may help you in any way, a professional diagnosis can be valuable. It has often been said that there is no time too late, that the treatment can prove some level of effectiveness at any age.

Your workplace sounds like it's a good match for you, based on how you describe it. It really depends upon how you get along with people there and whether or not you feel any accommodations might help you. If there are parts of your job that trigger sensory issues for you, then perhaps an explaining the situation to someone could prove advantageous. If you do not experience any issues like that at work, then it is merely a matter of how close you are with the people there and whether or not you want to share such personal matters.

As for myself, I sought treatment right away because I was in a desperate situation and needed help quickly. I also was working a job that was awful for me at the time, and needed to communicate with my employers to tell them why I was having a hard time on the job. I eventually had to leave, as they were unable to accommodate as thoroughly as I would have needed. The two jobs I have had since then I have also communicated my issues with my employers, though I can happily report that I have had little to no sensory issues with those jobs. I do not believe that being open and communicating these things has been damaging to any of my jobs, but it is up to you to gauge whether or not they will be receptive and understanding. Personally, I wouldn't want to work in a place where they weren't.

I hope this helped, and I hope you are able to find support and help here!
Honestly, if you need to have help outside yourself it's best to get a diagnosis so you can get medical care. That way you have access to the resources you need. With me, I already aged out of school when I understood what I have and have other medical issues that people would see as more "important" if I was going to get disability. (Stage 4 endo where I can't get out of bed at times, life sucks. lol But at least I'm in a sexy place right? A bed an all. lol) It depends on what's going on in your life to seek out treatment. Also, talk to the people around you, you'd be surprised how nice people can be. Otherwise, with myself I've done self-work and avoidance. lol The thing you have to ask yourself is what is hurting you the most now? Then go down the list and work to make those things better. I'm here if you want to talk. <3
Hey what's up guyz!!!!