SPD Support Forum

Full Version: sensory equipment?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
does anyone use anything like bubble tubes fiber optics at home?

My son loves going to our local snoezelen and using the star tunnel which is a blacked out UV room and also the two rooms that have bubble tubes fiber and heated vibrating water beds in. He zones out when we go there and I thought having something similar at home would be a really calming environment for him when he feels explosive.

I have a chairty willing to fund equipment for his bedroom but need a professional backup. I asked out OT today if she would confirm he has sensory needs and she was realy shocked I was thinking of putting a therapy room in at home and said she didnt think he needed that kind of thing.

Am I really mad to be wanting to create a chill out zone? Is it really that odd to think of that sort of equipment for a sensory seeker/sensory defensive child? He also has dyspraxia so gets tired and achey easily and has hypermobility so often wakes up in pain.

I thin tomorrow I will ring his psycologist and see what she thinks from a mental/emotional stresslevel point of view.

Really thought the OT would support us in this as shes insisting on sensory diet going into school and knows that he likes hiding, has sensitivity to light and noise and wears sunglasses and eardefenders a lot of the time also that he has explosive behaviour and we have holes in the walls and things constantly broken in anger.
(03-06-2012, 10:01 AM)owensmum Wrote: [ -> ]does anyone use anything like bubble tubes fiber optics at home?

My son loves going to our local snoezelen and using the star tunnel which is a blacked out UV room and also the two rooms that have bubble tubes fiber and heated vibrating water beds in. [snip]

Am I really mad to be wanting to create a chill out zone? Is it really that odd to think of that sort of equipment for a sensory seeker/sensory defensive child? He also has dyspraxia so gets tired and achey easily and has hypermobility so often wakes up in pain.
Goodness! I understand the core of your message, but there's definitely an ocean gap between us! ;-) What is a snoezelen?

In a limited way, I agree with the OT that you don't want a full-blown therapy room at home, but I definitely would give my child a "chill out zone". We have certain OT tools at home - therapy ball for sitting on, mini trampoline for bouncing out the stress, special lights in the room where my son spends the most time. I'm focused on making his home my son's "safe place" - no food he is allergic to in the house, adjusted lighting, etc. but we still do some OT work at home. The full OT program is reserved for when he goes for his session, and I think replicating that at home would actually be a stressor for my son: he'd fell like he never could get away from OT.

We may be dealing with totally different issues, so what I see here might not fit well for you, but I would just select a few elements of the sensory room for the home, and not go for the whole thing.
its a multisensory environment, its sooo relaxing Smile http://www.worcestersnoezelen.org.uk/

Its the relaxation bits I was asking her to support our application for. Mainly i want a bubble tube installed in his room and a fiber harness so that it mimics what we use at the snoezelen center which is a treat for him, I'm not looking to do what the OT does.

I think our OT though was thinking we should be asking for the tools she uses at the clinic - which I totally agree with you on that it would just stress my boy out. I used to want to be at him constantly with exercises and because school wont have him in full time due to meltdowns I was always on his case that being at home is not an easy option and get him working all day. but now I think if "the world" is gonna be against my poor little man then I am gonna be his best friend and make home as you say his safe place.
Snoezelen want.
(03-07-2012, 02:31 AM)Tuttleturtle Wrote: [ -> ]Snoezelen want.

Haha - yes we would go every day if we could!
(03-06-2012, 03:19 PM)owensmum Wrote: [ -> ]its a multisensory environment, its sooo relaxing Smile http://www.worcestersnoezelen.org.uk/

Its the relaxation bits I was asking her to support our application for. Mainly i want a bubble tube installed in his room and a fiber harness so that it mimics what we use at the snoezelen center which is a treat for him, I'm not looking to do what the OT does.
We're definitely in different places - the lights in the snoezelen would send my son screaming out into the street. Flickering/changing lights = torture for him. Lighting can be a major trigger for his emotional issues.

(03-06-2012, 03:19 PM)owensmum Wrote: [ -> ]I think our OT though was thinking we should be asking for the tools she uses at the clinic - which I totally agree with you on that it would just stress my boy out. I used to want to be at him constantly with exercises and because school wont have him in full time due to meltdowns I was always on his case that being at home is not an easy option and get him working all day. but now I think if "the world" is gonna be against my poor little man then I am gonna be his best friend and make home as you say his safe place.
To sidetrack a bit, on the meltdowns: are you using a nutritional supplements or diet modifications to help with those? Under the guidance of a neurologist, my son started on a supplements program that has cut his meltdowns by 95%. The bad news was it took a round of blood tests to determine what supplements he needs, and there will be further blood tests for monitoring, but life is so much better. We also use a gluten-free, soy-free diet, which is high in protein and low on the glycemic scale. If he doesn't start his day with a high protein breakfast, there will be problems well before lunch. That means homemade pancakes or waffles, sausage, eggs, cheese or peanut butter for breakfast every day. I get a bit tired of all the specialized cooking!
We're on GFCF as my boys been dairy intollerant since a baby so we added in the gluten free for extra measre anyway. Hes on a low GI diet too Wink
Supplements hes on a high strength vitamin C, magnesium and Omega 369 EPA and is just about to start on GABA supplements with vit B6 for anxiety.
Hes being treated with bioresonance therapy on a weekly basis and we follo the wilbarger protocol of brushing and joint compressions every day.

My boy absolutely loves being in the dark with a projector on with primary colours and shapes, or a lighted bubble tube. He hates being in normal daylight though and often wears sunglasses. He also uses ear defenders and earplugs.

Oh and we have found the sensational hug t-shire really useful for him, he loves being bear hugged. Our OT is going to let us borrow a compression vest to see if one would be good for even deeper pressure during the day. He goes most places with his weighted scarf around his neck.
Snoezelen is a Dutch word as far as I know so I knew the word and I love it!
Yes I think its a Dutch concept that is spreading Smile Its such an amazing center!

Forgot to add weekly conductive education sessions to that list of thing we do with Owen too. Think thats scandanavian or swedish or something... but my boy can now jump finally at the age of 6 so I dont care where it came from its invaluable the support they have given us for Dyspraxia Smile