SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Biting his lips
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does any one else do this or know how to stop it. My 5 yr old son last fri bit his top lip on both sides so they ended up swollen and drooped down. Looked a bit like a vampire.
When he got up sat morning and was out of my sight he started screaming his lips hurt.
To my horror when I got there he had no skin on each side of his lip like he had grazed it off with his teeth which was what was sore and they were bleeding. I couldn't believe what he had done. It was not sore until he had removed he skin.
I was also unaware that he would go as far as making it bleed although he does have a high pain threshold. Now worried that he will do it again, he looked awful with two big scabs on either end of his lip. Didn't stop him eating though.
Were they dry before he did that? I find that if my lips are dry I automatically try to even them out removing the cracked skin, not caring whether this hurts until after I've done it...
The answer to if they were dry, I dont know. He didn't say they were and I didn't notice at the time. In the morning they probably would have been cos he does sleep with his mouth open.
i used to do that when i was a kid. i always got sent to the school nurse and she would vaseline on my lips. the taste would stop me from biting and also my lips being not chapped. the sensation of the dry skin would make me bite, to remove any dead skin. maybe giving him chapstick would help or putting something bitter on his lips so he wont want to bite
I still do it. *blush* The second I catch myself biting my lips I have to moisterize (even though I hate the feel of it) or I will bite myself bloody. My lips are all scarred up from it. Due to food allergies it is almost impossible for me to find a moisterizer I don't have an allergic reaction to.
Thank you for sharing that Beck. It is a great help when I know it's part of his condition. Otherwise am left wondering why and especially to that extreme. I know when he gets hurt he doesn't seem to notice which worries me cos I never know how hurt he is. A little lad last week kicked him in the stomach, it was an accident, I didnt see it but the other mum told me. She said he's ok, he said it doesnt hurt. How the hell does she know, when he doesn't know himself.
Since your son is Hyposensitive most of the time, he needs to get in the habit of checking his body for bruises and making sure that they heal after a reasonable amount of time. I knew one gentleman that was Hyposensitive and worked construction. He broke bones and kept working never realizing that he was actually injured in falls. Eventually, his bones didn't heal up right since he didn't get them treated fast enough and ended up on Disability.

Basically, he needs to be trained to spot self injuries even if he feels no or little physical pain.