SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Trying hard to find ways to ease SPD symptoms as an adult
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi - thanks for having this meeting place! I wish everyone success in dealing with (and overcoming - ?) their most bothersome symptoms. I'm a 39 year old woman and believe that my SPD symptoms are the byproduct of PTSD. But it's been such a challenge trying to educate my doctors and therapists about SPD, and I've had no luck at all finding an OT who works with adults.

I've been quite successful at work in the past, although never in relationships, but I haven't been able to work full time since 2007. Bankruptcy and eventually homelessness resulted... Shoot, this doesn't sound like any bio that I ever thought I'd write or wanted to write... I was valedictorian in high school...

My biggest challenge is auditory overload, which happens with noises that most others wouldn't even notice. If a TV or radio is on or if anyone starts another conversation within earshot, I almost completely lose the ability to speak. So frustrating!

I have other symptoms as well, such as needing a ton of weight on top of me to sleep and jumping whenever anyone touches me, but the auditory overload that turns my brain to oatmeal is THE challenge right now.

I guess I'm most curious whether anyone
* can recommend something that actually helps the auditory overload
* also has developed SPD due to PTSD
* or can recommend an effective therapist for adults (OT or whatever), ideally in VT/NH - but I´m open at this point due to frustration with the symptoms.

Sorry - I wish I could sound more positive right now. Thanks for any input.
I just learned about SPD only a week and a half ago and for the first time in my life I realize that I am not the only one with these problems. I feel so relieved that I am not the only person out there who struggles with this.. By the sounds of it you are an extremely intelligent woman who will definitely come through this. I have to have as many blankets on me as possible in order to sleep too! I have issues with touch not so much people, but materials- Tags are a huge problem for me as well as anything other than soft cotton or modal. I have been diagnosed and treated for ADD and it has helped but this is a topic barely brushed upon! I am in the New York City area so I dont know of anything in the VT/NH area but I can look around for you ( I am looking for myself at the moment as well) if you would like-
Please dont give up hope! You are not alone!!!
First, if you happen to read this in time, tomorrow (March 17 and 18) there is conference in Boston on SPD where you might find a therapist who works with adult. http://spdfoundation.net/boston2012/

Next, there are auditory training programs that might help with desensitization. One I know of is http://www.thelisteningprogram.com/ . My son is due to start it in April.

Another idea to contact the cognitive sciences labs at MIT, where some of the researchers are working on auditory issues. You can do a google search for other research programs on auditory desensitization.

Best wishes to you.
(03-16-2012, 11:35 PM)Marci Wrote: [ -> ]First, if you happen to read this in time, tomorrow (March 17 and 18) there is conference in Boston on SPD where you might find a therapist who works with adult. http://spdfoundation.net/boston2012/

If someone goes to this, can they post a list of all the OTs they'd found that would work with adults in the state? I can't go but would really like to and really strongly am looking for an OT.
(03-17-2012, 03:19 AM)Tuttleturtle Wrote: [ -> ][quote='Marci' pid='2579' dateline='1331951755']
First, if you happen to read this in time, tomorrow (March 17 and 18) there is conference in Boston on SPD where you might find a therapist who works with adult. http://spdfoundation.net/boston2012/

Oh, thank you so much. If I had transportation or money for a bus I would be there in a heartbeat. I appreciate the information. God, I wish things weren't so difficult right now.

I second the motion - if anyone is able to go - please info on OT's that work with adults, heavy quilt vendors, and anything to help auditory overload.
My SPD is not from PTSD.

It is possible that you had a mild case of SPD (which is incredibly common among the "normal" population), but when you experienced the stressor that traumatized you it activated the SPD to be more severe as your mind attempted to cope with the psychological stress.

Stress can make SPD temporarily worse, so having flashbacks about the traumatizing incident would definitely temporarily increase sensory issues.

My personal case of worsing SPD is due to physical stressors. However, the mind doesn't care if the stress is physical or mental, it is still overreacting to the stress hormones by causing the body to react inappropriately to sensory input.

Auditory problems are my most mild sense, so comfortable headphones and music I can stand were an important part of dealing with auditory information that was bothering me.
I found that wearing an earplug in one ear (the wax kind) helps a bit - it has to be in my left ear or it makes me bonkers though. Also listening to a repeated track of music in one ear using an earbud with a soft silicone head on it. It has to be a repeated track of music so after it plays quietly in my one ear for a bit I filter it out.

I am not sure if that will help you - but I can hope for you Smile
I do auditory integration music CDs called EASe.