SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Think daughter has spd
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I'm not sure if I can post on this forum yet as dont actually have a diagnosis so apologise if this isn't aloud.
I have been getting increasingly worried about my daughter's behaviour and have looked up about spd and am sure she has it. She is 6 years old and has for as long as I can remember had problems with sensory issues. She absolutely hates the feel of socks and will refuse to wear them. Certain towels, bed sheets, clothes etc she won't have near her and gets really distressed if she touches something by accident that she doesn't like. She won't turn the pages in her books. But on the other hand things she likes the feel of she can't stop touching and putting in her mouth. She craves tight cuddles, does this with anyone, teachers, friends, family. She never sits still at home always jumping on furniture and getting right in your face. Other things are she doesn't like it to be to light and sudden loud noises make her really angry and cry. Shes always hot, as soon as we get home she strips off wont wear a coat and is always hungry. It takes 1-2 hours to get her to sleep and she will alwats wake up crying if i dont stay with all night. Her behaviour has been getting out of hand, she has extreme tantrums which seem like they're over nothing and will hurt others and herself. She keeps saying she wants to die, she hates herself. She got a knife (only a blunt cutlery one) and said she will kill herself. The thing is she behaves at school, is popular and isn't behind with her learning. She is easily distracted but will do as she's told. She has had support at school for her emotional well being and we have a family support worker, she has told me to keep a diary of her tantrums and is going to speak to the school again. I'm not sure if i should go to the dr or wait to see of any thing the school can offer. Does this sound like spd? What can I do to help her.
I just feel so lost and exhausted not knowing what to do for the best.