SPD Support Forum

Full Version: 10 y/o daughter with SPD—looking for chat support group for her
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My 10-year-old daughter has SPD. She is very smart, and has good friends, and excels in school and gymnastics. But clothing has always bothered her. Our family has experienced what I'm sure so many here would recognize:

•horrible tantrums when getting dressed
•a bad hair day can turn nuclear
•her panic and anxiety about her clothes has led to serious emotional turmoil for the whole family

There was time when she would be naked when we drove to school, because she couldn't stand to have clothes on until we got there. Usually being around others helps her to forget how things feel. She tolerates everything when she's in school, but maybe she's just suppressing the worry and feelings.

We've had weighted blankets, and seamless socks, and when we've found a type of clothing she'll tolerate, we buy as much of it as we can, knowing full well that she may no longer like it next week. Sooooooo many OT sessions. Which helped, until they didn't.

Anyway, what I'm specifically looking for is an online support group that my daughter could participate in. Ideally this would be a weekly Zoom conference facilitated by a professional in which children similar to my daughter could share their experiences, and know that others go through what she goes through.

Does anyone have suggestions, or know of where I could look?