SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Seeking support
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello-

I have a son that is 3 years and 11 months old who has recently been diagnosed with SPD. He was born 3 months premature and while we were aware of a speech delay we had not seen any behaviors at home that concerned us. I started my first year as an assistant preschool teacher this year at an independent school and we were so excited that my son would be able to join me there. His year has been on a steady down hill slide. Early in the year i had a meeting with his teacher and the director of the school where I learned of many sensory seeking behaviors he has displayed when in a group setting. After evaluations we have just begun ST and OT three weeks ago.

His struggles in school seem to be intensifying, where he began aas 5 full days a week, we dropped down to half days because the teacher complained that he was too disruptive to the other students during nap time. We further reduced his schedule to 3 half days per week as it was communicated that he was disruptive to the class, unable to meet classroom expectations and that his need for one on one assistance was unfair to the rest of the children.

We have just begun winter break and I received a call from the preschool director, she suggested moving Griffin into my room so that I could assist him as he is needed. I was strongly against this idea for a variety of reasons, and we have come to the painful decision to remove him from the school completely.

I am feeling like they just wanted to wash their hands of him, and it so disappointing as we have been seeing growth in a variety of ways at home, yet his teacher communicated she has seen no growth since September for him. We have had a variety of communication issues from the get go and while the director of the preschool has said he is welcome to remain in his room, his teacher has made it clear he is not welcome.

We are mostly upset that his occupational therapy may be less effective for him as he will not have the chance to practice using his tools in an environment that it is needed in. We have tried implementing many sensory diet activities at home, but without the need for it here it is difficult to determine what will work for him when we are able to find a new school for him.

I am wondering if anybody has experienced a similar situation and how they dealt with it. I am feeling very sad for him, I feel he has been rejected for something that is out of his control.