SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Pets and Children with SPD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A family member is visiting with a 5 year-old child that is diagnosed with sensory processing disorder. The child has a history of pestering and squeezing animals, which makes the animals uncomfortable and it’s unsafe. The parent has told me that this is part of SPD. My dog is not a fan of small children in general and has nipped at this child in the past when the child pesters and tried to grab and squeeze her. Unfortunately, the parent has specifically stated that the child is not to be told no since this makes him behave worse. I am at a loss on how to keep the child and the dog safe. My original plan was to get a baby gate and keep them separated. I’m just hoping for advice from anyone who has experience with kids with SPD that can illuminate my ignorance and suggest ways of keeping both child and dog safe. I’m really struggling and want to make sure I don’t end up with a tragedy in my hands.