SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Finally learning about me @ 41
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am turning 42 this year and I just discovered I have SPD. I am also discovering the mechanisms I have created to cope with some of them.
-Raw cotton in medicine bottles is HORRID. I either give the bottles to someone else to open or I throw them away - I usually buy meds in packets to avoid this
-I am not a huge fan of music - I have to be IN THE MOOD to listen to music, otherwise it grates on my nerves, the constant changing sounds
-I get easily distracted in public places - especially at restaurants I am, SQUIRREL, talking with my wife and then I just drift away and zone in on other conversations (I can also hear other people's conversations TABLES away clearly)
-I cannot be in elevators with strangers - I will often get out of an elevator if it stops and someone tries to enter prior to my floor (or just avoid elevators altogether)
-I don't snuggle or cuddle - it makes my skin feel prickly and I feel confined
-I can be looking at you, actively listening to you and suddenly realized that all the words you just said didn't compute. I HEARD them but I still don't know what you just said
-Kids irritate me - the sound of laughing, screaming, the high pitchedness of it, I hate playgrounds and kids areas. I really wish there were more adults only venues. Like movie theaters offering adults only disney movies.
-I can't wear things around my neck or clothing that constricts my neck
-I 100% will take off my bra if I don't have to be wearing one
-I don't like walking around in socks - I prefer to be barefoot
-I can't wear flipflops or anything that tucks in between my big toe and next to it toe. I will get sharp tingles all down my body if I do that don't stop
-I smell things SO STRONGLY - perfume bothers me, makes me feel like I can't breathe (I hate the smell of bacon and new car smell)
-I can't use nail clippers on my fingers - I either file or bite them off
-I hate doing dishes - all the sounds, sights, smells, feelings are just too overwhelming when I do dishes so I have to listen to an audio book or SOMETHING to distract me. I can't do the dishes in utter silence.
Those are just a few that I have realized. But I am not crazy! I am me and me is ok. It's mind blowing to think that there is a NAME for this.