SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Repetative rocking and head slamming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My daughter who is 23 months and has a severe case of SPD (Also was told she is sensory seeking and hypersensitive) constantly gets on all 4's in her crib and rocks. That doesn't bother me due to the fact she rocks herself to sooth. But now, she is constantly slamming her forehead on the bars on her crib. She will even rock the crib so hard that it will move to the center of the room (We have tile floors). Her OT knows about this and has been trying to help her with self regulation, but I am worried she will really hurt herself one day. Has one one else gone through this?
Have you tried putting padding on the crib sides, so that she can rock without hurting her head? Rocking is quite soothing, and sometimes people will do so without even thinking about the fact they they're doing so. That might be causing more issues with slamming her head into the bars on the crib.

Are there other things you know sooth her? Is there a way she can rock without it being in the crib? I know personally certain textures are problematic and others are soothing, can there be things in her crib that help? Can you check for changes that have been made recently when she's been hurting herself more?

As someone hypersensitive and seeking, we need ways to regulate ourselves with more input that is also controlled and the correct input. As we overreact to everything, yet need more anyways, we need a way to cope with the difference. Watch how she reacts outside of her crib as well as in it, and give her what you can safely for you helping her regulate and you giving her ways to rock and such safely.
(04-07-2012, 03:52 AM)Tuttleturtle Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried putting padding on the crib sides, so that she can rock without hurting her head? Rocking is quite soothing, and sometimes people will do so without even thinking about the fact they they're doing so. That might be causing more issues with slamming her head into the bars on the crib.

Are there other things you know sooth her? Is there a way she can rock without it being in the crib? I know personally certain textures are problematic and others are soothing, can there be things in her crib that help? Can you check for changes that have been made recently when she's been hurting herself more?

As someone hypersensitive and seeking, we need ways to regulate ourselves with more input that is also controlled and the correct input. As we overreact to everything, yet need more anyways, we need a way to cope with the difference. Watch how she reacts outside of her crib as well as in it, and give her what you can safely for you helping her regulate and you giving her ways to rock and such safely.

We have tried padding the crib. She finds a way to remove the padding. I think she tends to like the firmness of hitting her head. She isn't big on anyone rocking he rather than herself. She has her white noise sound box which was named "Boo box" (Her nick name is booboo like in Yogie Bear) She has 1 blanket that she has to sleep with or else she meltsdown. Se also loves deep pressure, so sleeping with warm, smaller fitting PJ's works and her crib is covered in stuffed animals that she burrows under at bed time.
I'm just not sure if I am giving her too much stuff to regulate and that is causing her to do that or might there be something I am missing in the list of stuff she needs at bedtime?