SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Shoes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Thanks Marci, will bear that in mind. Never thought an hours difference would cause so much hassle. But it gives me something to check on. It's another world that I am not privy too but a willing to learn.

Jaffa
Thanks for sharing that Marci. My 4 year old tends to get the same way with lack of sleep. She doesn't "cycle" too much anymore. She has more issues with her JRA now. My 23 month old is the same with the lack of sleep, just more, umm, aggressive. I just hope it doesn't come down to homeschooling my kids, but I will if I must.
There isn't much homeschooling done in the uk. Don't know if I could do that anyway. I know it sounds awful but we both like him going to school. Him cos he likes lots of people, me for the rest.

Jaffa
Wasn't meaning to suggest that homeschooling is always the answer. With my SPD kid, there are so many issues out of our control that I need to carefully manage those I can control, and protecting his sleep - which such a huge impact on his coping skills - is one thing I can do while we gradually work on his challenges. He also has major problems with insomnia, which leads to a bizarre schedule for us.
Wow Marci that sounds even harder than mine. Can only think we have been given these kids for a reason, just wish I knew what the reason was.
One thing I have recently 'discovered' is just turning the sock inside out to have the seam on the outside helps alot, even sometimes on her 'seamfree' socks there is still a slight seam on the inside. This works well for white cotton socks. Hang in there.
Jaffa and Marci, just to sort of slide a note in here. After a lifetime of problems, the need for sleep and serious problems with fatigue are still issues at 40 years old. If I get even a bit sleep deprived, there is crying and whining and snot, too! I was a beast when I was a kid. I didn't want to go to bed, but when I was allowed to stay up I ended up having a fit. I'm not much better now. Good luck with the kiddos. Heart
Hi Jaffa,
Have you considered having an assessment for autism spectrum disorder for your son? Walking on the toes is a common sign associated with this. It may not be, but if it is, the earlier the better Smile
Bernadette.
How are things going Jaffa. Sounds like similar dramas to my house. We have major shoe and sock problems especially now we have started school. I got a brush from the OT to do the deep brushing technique but we use it as a tool now and then not strictly the proper brushing technique. I use it most mornings on Evelyn's feet before I put her socks on and then we put her 'seamless' socks on. If she is particularly sensitive I put them on inside out so the seam is on the outside and then I plays games on her toes like this little piggy or just silly singing and wiggling games and then I try to get her shoes on. 95% of the time this works, except for one particulr running shoe that is causing issues with the stitching. I have searched the shops for a suitable alternative but they all hurt. The brush has been great to to diffuse her when she wakes in one of THOSE mooods. Lots of deep hugs afterwards too help. Maybe ask you OT about the brush. It's been a god send to our house. Me thinks I might buy couple more as I hate looking for it when I really need it. The other thing I do if I have time is I like to start the day with Evelyn coming into my bed, or I in hers, and I give her deep hugs and she starts the day calmly. If I see she's in one of those moods then I will take her back to bed under the quilt and 're-start' the day.
The OT said when he gets up he has to rub his feet across the carpet then jump 20 times on flat feet, then put feet into cold water for 2 mins before using a hard towel for him to dry them. Then some squishing of the feet before putting shoes and socks on.
Boy I don't think I have time to do all this before school. I am a foster carer too for tiny babies, I get up most days about half six quarter to seven so I can get 3 of us washed, dressed, breakfasted, lunches made, fliddies had and shoes on and off and screaming to be out the house for twenty to nine. Am I now going to have to get up at six to cater for this. Not tried it yet.
Bernadette I was told that he was too sociable to be autistic. I do however think there is more than just SPD going on. He also has obsessions, trains, buses fire engines and bin lorries are his worst.
Painting household objects will liquids is another, toothpaste all over the bath, cooking oil dripped onto every knob on the hob. Then he denies doing it. Mr invisible also lives here.
Jaffa
Pages: 1 2 3