SPD Support Forum

Full Version: New here and to SPD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey everyone,

I am new to this sight and new to the diagnosis of SPD, not for me yet (hoping to get some insite there), but for my son. He was recently diagnosed and we are attending OT once a week with appointments through the end of June for now. I am so relieved that we have found out what was up with all his "quirks."

I found out about SPD searching (like most I have read) through asperger's. However (also like most here) I did not think that aperger's was the correct diagnosis. while doing my research I came across a link to a discription of SPD and decided that my son strongly displayed 9 of the 14 symtoms listed there. We went to the pediatrition to have an ADHD evaluation (which is what his school wanted) and ended up with and ADHD diagnosis and a referal to an OT. Within one appointment she could tell he was an SPD kid for sure.

Now that we have my son diagnosed I have ralized that I displayed as a child or even still now display certian syptoms of this disfunction. for example:

-I was also diagnosed with ADHD as a child and placed on meds
-I am "dyslexic" (maybe not so much now that I have read adult symptoms of SPD, letter reversal, difficulty reading, not knowing right from left, etc.)
-had a hard time learning to read an analoge clock (still takes me a min)
-hard time learning to ride my bike and tieing my shoes
-while reading the words would "jump around on the page"
-I STILL gag when trying to eat onion (raw, cooked or other wise) BUT I can eat onion rings, one spacific type of green chili salsa, and my dads fience has discovered that if she blends the onion into a pulp that i can eat her spagetti sauce.
- I am very emotional (recently diagnosed with Anxiety issues)
-I don't just get upset I "freek out" or I guess meltdown
-I am very hard on myself
-I only wore cloth/sweat pants untill middle school where I wanted to fit in and no one else wore cloth/sweat pants on a regular basis.

the list goes on and on, I was just wondering if anyone else thinks that SPD is a resonable explination before I try to acrue doctor bills I cannot pay lol.

thanks to everyone in advance and I am excited to have a place to talk about this where people will lissten and understand Smile

Thanks again!!

SDP422012
Sounds like you definitely need to look into Irlen Lenses. That should help with your "dyslexia", clock reading, and keeping the words from running around the page.

I also wore cloth/sweat pants until middle school. My aunt taught me to wear jeans. She started me with stretch jeans and then after a few years I was able to migrate to regular jeans.
Wow what are Irlen lenses? I have never heard of that Smile I did not even have glasses untill 10th grade. I also remember wearing strech pants as a child and finally being able to wear jeans in like 6th or 7th grade, my mom was very good about not forcing me to do things that I didn't want to do and I am thankful for that because I can impart the same patiants with my son, we recently found out he has SPD and we have been working with him on it. He has made much improvment and I am learning a lot about SPD and how to help us through it. I found this forum and have been so happy to find that we are not alone. Thanks for your advice!!
You can get Irlen Lenses at your local Irlen Center.
http://irlen.com/index.php

I know their description seems hokey, but there is actually some solid science behind how the special tint on the lenses blocks out the wavelengths of light that are irritating your brain.

They have an inexpensive first test where you personally can clearly see if you might be helped by Irlen Lenses. They give you an overlay to put over anything you read for the next two weeks (based on the one that seems to help you the most). If it doesn't help you, then Irlen Lenses aren't a solution for you. However, if for the first time in a while your reading dramatically improves and you aren't having so much eye strain related problems, then go back and test for Irlen Lenses. I do have to warn you that the Lenses themselves are expensive and insurance doesn't cover it at all.

At least for me the difference was so huge that I really had no choice. Without Irlen Lenses, the slightest shift in light could shut me down and I kept walking into walls. Ignoring of course the long list of reading problems I had. I know it is time to get my Lenses updated when my reading gets much worse.

Another indicator that you might need to check out Irlen Lenses is if things like Polka Dots and Stripes bother you.