SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Advice for b-day party for hypersensitive/sensory seeker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My daughter will be turning 2 in less than a month and naturally, I want to
throw a party.

Problem is, she is very hypersensitive and is a sensory seeker. She hates loud
noises and crowds. She goes into a meltdown quickly. When her sister's have
their parties, I always do them during her nap so she avoids the party and spare
her from a meltdown.

Does anyone have an idea for what I can do? I don't want years down the road her
look back and ask why she didn't get a party.
(04-18-2012, 10:59 PM)heatherv112506 Wrote: [ -> ]My daughter will be turning 2 in less than a month (snip)

Does anyone have an idea for what I can do? I don't want years down the road her
look back and ask why she didn't get a party.
She's turning 2?

Have cupcakes with candles at dinner, a few presents and call it a party. Honestly, that would probably be a much as she can handle. My son couldn't handle more than that then, and now, at 12, wants nothing at all to do with parties/events that focus on him. I've learned the hard way to respect his preferences when it comes to events.
For some kids, parties are just a bad idea. I second the cupcakes with candles idea.

It isn't like she will remember any birthday parties prior to 5 years old anyways. By then you will better know if she can handle having a party or would even want one.
I have never done a birthday party at 2 other then with family.

I understand what you are saying about not wanting to not do something you did for your other children. I struggle with this in general. But our children with SPD have different needs. There are fun things at OT that kids with SPD get to do that their siblings don't.

If you do want to do a party, what are her calming activities? Could you think of something that focuses on stuff that calms her?
I would just do a home party. If she is very sensitive, she'll appreciate small parties she can handle rather than big parties that overload her senses. It will be easier for everyone.
Thanks a bunch guys. I thought a lot about doing just the cupcake thing when I was planning this. I have another daughter with SPD but she is hypo sensitive, so I'm still kinda learning as I go with a hyper sensitive child.

GCmom- She loves going on the trampoline. I was wanting to let the kids go on that at the party.

I really don't know anyone with kids her age or just kids in general, so I'm not worried about that. She just has a habit of "shutting" down when she isn't used to someone. My cousin who is over 4 or more times a week she still is getting used to. My grandmother can't go near her. Thankfully, I have a pretty understanding family.

I also considered staggering family through out the day but I didn't know if that would be too much on her as well.

Do you all think I should still decorate like I would a party (She loves Balloons) but keep the guest minimal?
If she loves balloons, I'd agree with decorating like you would a party, but keep the guests minimal and everything simple.
Thanks a bunch Smile
Balloons are awesome! If she loves them, have them available to do all sorts of things to them.

One game I used to play with the kids and adults around me was who could keep the balloon in the air the longest. That is something she could play with grandma to "break the ice".
Great idea! I was thinking of blowing up bunches of them and putting them in the trampoline (it's the kind with the side nets) I figured that would give her a field day. I also found on Nick JR.com they have printable Bubble Guppies decorations (Her absolute favorite show).
Pages: 1 2