SPD Support Forum

Full Version: New SPD study that you can participate in!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone,

As many of you may well know, the SPD Foundation is the leader of research and advocacy in the SPD world. Well, I have just been notified of a new and exciting online research study that is underway right now!

You can participate and find out more about it here:
http://www.sinetwork.org/researchlanding.html

This is for both adults and parents! The foundation is looking for people in all categories for this. You need not have SPD to participate. In fact, according to those who are running this study, they actually really *want* 'neurotypical' (non-SPD/ASD/ADHD) adults in order to have some controls for their research.

Here are some FAQs I would imagine you might have for me:

What is it?
It's a three part online survey. It's mostly multiple choice with only a few questions on the first couple pages that ask for more specific information from you. Each part of the survey is done separately, allowing for logical breaking points in between.

What kind of questions does it ask?
It asks a ton of questions, to be honest. It really varies. Some of it has to do with sensory-related stuff, others have very little to do with it (at least, not directly). I feel it is important to leave the exact questions out though, as knowing specifics ahead of time may effect results.

How long does it take?
That depends on how fast you are at reading and answering personal multiple choice questions, really. What's cool about this survey though, is that you can pretty much leave at any point and come back to complete it later. Not only are the three parts of the survey individually split, allowing you to completely stop and come back later, each page of the individual surveys gives you the option to "Save and Exit" the survey. This stores whatever data you have entered and allows you to come back to finish later.

Who do they want taking this survey?
Basically, as many people as they can get. Here's what they say:
The SPD Foundation Wrote:We are looking for:
- Typically developing children or adults
or
- Children or adults diagnosed with:
  • Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders
  • Anxiety disorders (any)
  • ADHD

Can we trust them with our info?
Yes. This is the SPD Foundation. Everything involving your privacy is legally bound and protected. There is a small agreement you have to accept before taking each part of the study (they are all the same agreement). The survey has also received IRB/ethical approval.

What's in it for me?
No immediate gains, really, but really, the more info and statistics the SPD Foundation is able to gather to make its case and get reliable data, the better! By taking the hour or two it will take you to take this test, you are being a part of a much bigger and higher cause.

Would you take it, Dan?
Of course I would. In fact, I already did! It took me a bit longer than they said it probably would, but I'm a slow processor. Wink

For more information and to participate in the free online survey, visit the SPD Foundation website here:
http://www.sinetwork.org/researchlanding.html

Thanks everyone. I understand if you can't participate, but it'd be great if many of you could. Smile
-Dan