SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Hello :)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My name is Jamie. I am 25 and I have 2 little boys. My oldest is 4 and has been diagnosed by 2 occupational therapists with SPD. He's had a hard time in social/structured settings since he was able to walk. I always knew something was different about him. Getting a diagnosis was huge for us. It felt like a ray of sunshine after a horrible thunderstorm. The past year has been especially hard for us. He has been in a daycare and I've had several meetings with his teacher and the director and I finally took him to his pediatrician with our concerns. He is a sensory seeker. Constantly moving and touching everything. He has a hard time sitting for any length of time. Group activities are especially hard for him. My youngest son is 2. He is the complete opposite of my oldest. He's so laid back. I have been married for almost 7 years now. My husband has been really supportive through all of this. It took him a while to get on board about having my oldest evaluated but he finally seen what I've seen since he was a year old. I don't have much support from the extended family. everyone thinks I'm crazy and my son is just difficult or hard to control. I am glad I found this site. I am in need of some support Smile I can't wait to get to know you all.
Hi Jamie. Welcome to SPD Support!

I hope you are able to meet a lot of helpful people here and get the support and info you need.
Best wishes and thanks for joining. Big Grin
Hi and welcome!

I completely understand about extended family. Most just think we're spoiling our children and are "letting them get away with bad behavior.". My mom just thought I was letting my son push my buttons and manipulate me. Many people don't believe SPD is real. That's the hard part about invisible disorders.

Looking forward to getting to know you!
I'm glad you joined as well. We're all in this together. My daughter starts OT Monday. I'm looking forward to seeing her develop and for us to learn new ways of coping/adapting.
Hi and welcome, it is good to have a place where people know where you are coming from and no you are not crazy. I fought for my son through lots of drs and paediatricians who said there was nothing wrong with him to him going to school where the SENCO teacher told me she thought he had SPD. I had never heard of this. At last someone hears and sees what I do.
Although on saying that my child keeps most of it hidden in school.
He is a special boy in many ways and wouldn't have him any other way.
Hi. I have a 5 year old who was just diagnosed. My dh has yet to come around, but, I am hopeful that he will benefit from more information. I know that reading "The Out of Sync Child" was a huge help to me. I totally agree that it is nice to finally have confirmation that you have been right in noticing things along the way.