SPD Support Forum

Full Version: My younger son's SPD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I usually refer to my younger son's SPD as being more mild. And in many ways it is, compared to my older son. With my older son, it was interfering with school so there was a pressing need to find solutions. He is much more socially affected, in addition to the sensory stuff.

But the other day, my younger son said to me, "When I look at small sharp things, it makes my eyes hurt.". It really took me aback. It made me feel sad and guilty that maybe I haven't paid as much attention to his needs as I have my older son's needs. Part of me thought younger was going to be more typical, didn't need all these therapies and doctors and appts.

For a moment, I thought, oh no, I can't do this all again. It took so much out of me with my older son from 6-9 years old. It was truly exhausting to get where we are now with him. My younger is 7 now. It's certainly not as bad. His main issues are not eating enough or a variety of foods, and being a wiggle worm. Sleep would be an issue but thankfully through the "magic" of weighted blankets and melatonin, bedtime is not the 2-3 hour hell it had been with older. Clipping his finger and toenails continues to cause many tears, but we just do it as quickly as we can so it's done.

There are other things, but we adjust our life to fit. He doesn't like seeing movies in theaters because it's too loud, so we rarely take him. He won't wear jeans or pants with buttons, so I get him the athletic pants he can just pull up. He has his certain shoes he likes to wear. He doesn't like sandwiches, so I continue my search for healthy lunch options.

No question, just thinking about my kids "out loud". Feel free to comment or not. Smile
I found that cutting my nails after a shower made it much easier to bear having them cut. In addition, my nails didn't tear as badly and tended to be more consistent in texture. I just can't cut my nails when they are dry. I just can't...
(06-04-2012, 12:14 PM)LynnNBoys Wrote: [ -> ]But the other day, my younger son said to me, "When I look at small sharp things, it makes my eyes hurt.". It really took me aback. It made me feel sad and guilty that maybe I haven't paid as much attention to his needs as I have my older son's needs. Part of me thought younger was going to be more typical, didn't need all these therapies
He sounds nearsighted, like me!

It could just be that he needs glasses for vision, and that this is nothing to do with SPD at all. 7 is a pretty common age for that to show up.