SPD Support Forum

Full Version: New learning
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good afternoon, I am new to all this. I am in this forum on behalf of my 5 year old son. He has not been diagnosed as of yet but I am in the process of getting there! People keep telling me it is ADHA but I have my doubts. I have done many of the check list and it is like he was studied in order to make up the list! I get frusturated because I don't know how to deal with this, I find it hard sometimes to realize what he needs! He has 2 other sibilings and they find it very diffucult to deal with as well, they don't understand why he is the way he is! My son likes to be load and rough, more so when he is around more than 1-2 people! The only way I can describe it is, when he waslks into a room he sucks an ounce of energy out of every person then it over flows and he can't control it! I am in the process of getting him some tools what are some of you favorite tools?

Thanks

SOmething else I am quickly becoming aware of is: I may have this also!!! I see so much of myself in my son it is scary!
Hello and welcome to the site Smile

Well I can say you are taking the first step in the SPD process which is educating yourself. I also have a 6 year old who is ADHD but I believe she also has SPD. She has characteristics of both. She just isn't as severe as her 2 sister who also have SPD. From what I have understood, ADHD and SPD can go hand in hand. There is a great article on the site that talks about SPD and ADHD, you should check it out.
I myself recently found out that I have it SPD as well and guess what, I also have ADHD LOL.
Hang in there, you are doing great. It's tuff but that is why this site is here Smile
Hi and welcome! SPD and ADHD do often go hand in hand. They have many overlapping symptoms. My younger son looks ADHD, but is just a sensory seeker SPDer. He never sits still, must touch everything, loves to be squeezed in bear hugs, etc. He doesn't sit next to you, he sits on you. And he loves twirling my hair, which I don't mind.

You might want to try heavy muscle work with him. Have him get the gallon of milk from the fridge, carry heavy books from room to room, bring the laundry basket of dirty clothes to be washed. You could have him do wheelbarrows (hold his legs while he walks on his hands) down the hall. Any gross motor movements that use muscle work.

Do you have a weighted blanket for him? My younger son sleeps under his weighted blanket every night. My older son sleeps under his most nights. (We had so many sleep problems for years.) Maybe try a weighted vest.

Also, my boys do best when they know exactly what is expected of them. I tell them the behaviors that are acceptable every time we go somewhere new and even tell them at later times as reminders. If we're going to a restaurant, I tell them, Quiet inside voices, walking feet, hands to yourself, no climbing, no wrestling, no hitting. Everything I can think of that would be appropriate for the situation. I make them repeat back to me how they will act. If its a playdate, I talk about how we act with friends.

Maybe try fidget toys too for some situations. But I really think a weighted vest would help him.

Welcome to the site!
Ditto on Lynn's suggestions. We've tried several, and already see an improvement in our daughter's behavior in just two weeks. She actually loves carrying heavy things, and since the OT suggested letting her chew gum there has been a dramatic decrease in her putting inedible things in her mouth.
The OT also put her on the Wilbarger Brushing Protocol at our first meeting. I haven't been able to figure out if it's helping yet or not. Anyone else have any experience with it?
I use the Wilbarger Brushing Protocol. It helps me a lot when my skin is crawling or I seem to be hysterical at the most mild touch.