SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Loud input auditory seeking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

I work at a program that serves adults with Developmental Disabilties. One of my clients is a lady in her 30's who has Autism. She often makes vocalizations that sound like melodic moans ("Eeeeeooooowwwwww!) and also whistles in a way that sounds like bird calls.

When she seems comfortable and content these vocalizations are relatively low in volume and less frequent. Other times, however, her sounds are very loud and she amplifies them in her own ears by holding the plam of her hand to her mouth so her fingers reach her ears. If you stand near her while she does this you might find the volume and pitch intolerably loud. It amazes me that she seems to create this for herself. Unfortunatly her sounds are disrutpive for other clients around her.

Does anyone know a person who creates such loud sounds for themslves and has anyone had any success in finding ways for them to meet whatever sensory need they might have (in a way that helps them be around other people)?

Many thanks for any thoughts!

BG