SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Hi, new here, a little lost.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,
I'm Lianne and my 6 year old son has SPD. He was "sort of" diagnosed with it last October, but when the school followed up they said it wasn't bad enough to affect his schooling so they wouldn't give him therapy, and to be honest, it didn't seem that serious. recently since summer started it has gotten worse. I assume the structure he got from school suddenly disappearing was part of the problem.
We just started with occupational therapy last week and our therapist is very optimistic and very nice, but I don't really understand much of what is going on. I understand the basics but when she talks to me I feel like she thinks I know more than I do.
This is probably too long of an intro as it is, I'm just glad to find some support cause I need it.
(07-26-2012, 02:30 AM)Lianne Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone,
I'm Lianne and my 6 year old son has SPD. He was "sort of" diagnosed with it last October, but when the school followed up they said it wasn't bad enough to affect his schooling so they wouldn't give him therapy, and to be honest, it didn't seem that serious. recently since summer started it has gotten worse. I assume the structure he got from school suddenly disappearing was part of the problem.
We just started with occupational therapy last week and our therapist is very optimistic and very nice, but I don't really understand much of what is going on. I understand the basics but when she talks to me I feel like she thinks I know more than I do.
This is probably too long of an intro as it is, I'm just glad to find some support cause I need it.

Glad you joined us. I probably sound like a broken record to all the other users, but I hope you've read or will read Sensational Kids by Lucy Miller. If I hadn't read it before my daughter started therapy I think I would have been in complete darkness when she started talking about dyspraxia and oral motor stimulation, etc. Then as we were going out the door, she said, "Have you read Sensational Kids? I highly recommend you do so if you haven't."
Welcome to the site Smile