SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Hi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am a mother of an eight year old child with sensory issues. I am a bit at a loss because I don't know what exactly what life is like for her. I do know she has many difficulties and it breaks my heart that she often hurts emotionally and physically. She's a very sweet and loving little person and I have to find ways to make her life a little easier. Any feedback is helpful. Thank you!

Lilly likes: scary, crazy rides at the amusement park, swimming, riding her bike and pretend play with friends, family and occasionally alone, sleeping with a heavy pillow on top of her, wrestling with parents and friends, tickles.

Lilly dislikes: a variety of foods, not being in control, losing at games, hand writing, reading, tags in her shirts, seems in the toes of her socks, transitioning from one thing to another, sudden loud noises (who does?), heat and humidity, cleaning, organizing, not being able to control her anger/crying

If any of these items sound familiar to you please let me know what helped you! Thank you and bless you for helping!

Jill
HiSmile honestly it just sounds like SPD. My son is 4.5 diagnosed w SPD in Feb & what sensory issue is bothering just depends on the day. He tends to be more of a seeker than avoider though. Have you had ur daughter diagnosed? The best thing for us has been our OT to work on sensory play & fine motor skills (he's behind a little). Also, we go to a clinical social worker that helps us work on his relationship skills (he is behind on his emotional maturity for his age, doesn't make eye contact, & struggles w social edict). Hope this helps. If you have questions I'd be happy to help as best I canSmile

Julie
There are two books that helped me most with my daughter's sensory issues, many of which are shared with your daughter. They are:
Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder, and
Growing an In-Sync Child: Simple, Fun Activities to Help Every Child Develop, Learn, and Grow
They're both available on Amazon.