SPD Support Forum

Full Version: self regulation question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My son is 4 and was diagnosed "unofficially" in June with SPD. We have had two psych evals done in July (only because the larger institute that I was on a waiting list for had a cancellation). In the neuro psych eval, she has in the summary that "it is probable that he has biologically based difficulty with self-regulation." Does anyone know what biologically based could mean? To me it sounds like brain damage. Since he has had 3 febrile seizures I worry about any link between that and his SPD/anxiety issues. Even though I am sure his seizures were febrile (due to high fevers). I've read the Out of Sync Child and It's Not A SECRET and both describe self regulation (or lack of ) really well and that is my son perfectly. I'm concerned about the biologically based part. I'm just wondering because that eval recommended outpatient therapy and we have our first appt on Friday and I want to show her that.
I am not a doctor - but I think "biologically" means its in his make up. I think, rather than learned, or by environment factors. Like the biology of the brain (neurotransmitters and the natural occuring chemistry of the brain). Many things do affect our brain chemistry - through our entire lives. Biologically is different than learned behaviors. I do not think of brain damage when I think of biologically based - more like - it works differently, and is not a learned difficulty. Like I said - I am definitely no doctor though. I hope this helps - but I would be more inclined to look at the definitions and such (google!) Best of luck to you and your son! Smile
Thank you. Yes, that does make sense. I'll try to google it too. We see the therapist on Friday so I'll see what she says. But your definition is much better than mine.