SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Sensory Improvement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am an adult (35 years old) with SPD. My worst senses are Light and Touch, although the others are affected as well.

I have experienced a major period of improvement in the last three years in my SPD. One improvement started three years ago when I stopped taking a medication I started in my mid 20's. I think that medication was causing my SPD to grow from a mild case to a severe case. Once I stopped taking the medication, the SPD stopped getting worse.

Last year my cat went on a Spring walk outside and didn't come back. My daily bloody noses stopped, my food allergies decreased in severity, and over time it took more sensory input to trigger a problem. I also started recovering quicker from sensory problems. I knew I was allergic to cats, but as a cat lover it was upsetting to have it so clearly obvious. We babysat a cat and my bloody noses came back immediately until the cat went back home.

Additionally last year I started seeing a chiropractor and they adjusted my back, neck, and butt areas. I had been in a continuous level of 8 (out of 10) on the pain scale for months and this dropped my pain load to 3. This fixed my constant vertigo problems and a lot of my skin touch problems.

The most surprising thing that has improved my SPD lately was having my first Foster Child. She was regularly doing things that would have normally triggered problems, but for the most part they were mild enough my body was actually able to regulate to her level of input.

I just wanted to share some good SPD news, since I am often a bit of a downer about my health problems. I still have to be careful and aware of my surroundings, but I have a lot more leeway in things I can do now and that leeway makes me feel like I am actually living instead of just hiding in my home.
Smile That is wonderful news! Hope all keeps going so well!!!
that's great! I always wonder for my son if allergies might be apart of his issues... in fact before we thought something was distinctively different about him, I thought he was just having allergies... gave him some OTC meds and sort of expected him to magically be able to talk Wink Well I'm being sort of sarcastic, but hey a mom can dream right !?

I'm glad you are in significantly less pain and discomfort! That makes your foster parent a million times better I bet!

So what (if I may ask) lead you to first take and then stop the Rx?