SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Sensory housing??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm wondering if anyone knows of apartment complexes where sensory people can live independently but also function in a community and if there's a person or people to help out at all. I'm desperate to move out of my parents' hpuse because my family isn't willing to change anything to stop my panic attacks, but I can't necessarily live by myself. I have a lot of things I need to figure out. I live in ct.
I've heard of things like that for people with disabilities, but I'm not sure what it's called. I'd look into a social worker or something and see if they could help? I could really use something like that myself, but I'm starting out with a therapist and see how this works out.
A regular therapist or an OT? I've figured out a lot of the sensory stuff about myself by now so I go to a regular one for the emotional stuff.

And I'm sure I can function by myself in my own place, I just need somewhere safe to figure out things like washing dishes and vacuuming etc. I can only clean at night when everyone's in bed, but can't sleep during the day because my family doesn't want to have to regulate their noise.

I did read about a place in Middletown, ct, but that's for the sensory impaired. That means deaf and blind people, right? I'm not even sure what to look up, SPD, SID, autism spectrum disorder...