SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Does medication help?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I am new to the group. But my burning is question is....has anyone gotten any relief with medication? My son is 8, adopted from Russia, and he has been receiving OT since we brought him home at 8 months. We have tried therapeutic listening, tomatis, and almost 8 years of OT. Auditory sensitivity is his biggest issue. He wears noise cancelling headphones most of the day. He has so much anxiety which leads to aggression, cursing, property destruction, ect. Any input would be helpful. Thanks.
I haven't read about any medication, but I have read some studies that increasing Omega 3 in the diet has shown some results with some kids. Some kids also respond to a gluten free diet, and there are some other foods as well that I can't recall right now. You'd have to ask your pediatrician about dosing. I've also read some great things about Interactive Metronome therapy, but I don't believe it's covered by insurance--if that's an issue for you.
thanks for the info.
Have you had him evaluated for an anxiety disorder? If his anxiety is leading to destructive activities, it seems like he may benefit from anxiety medication to help him take the edge off. I have my son seeing a behavior therapist (counselor) to help him learn to process and manage his emotions in an appropriate way, I have him in OT once a week, and I had his pediatrician help us with a prescription for his anxiety. It is helping him A LOT!
We've been looking into dietary changes. If you're not faint of heart, you could check out:
Feingold.org
And there's an article I found very interesting about phosphates at:
http://www.phosadd.com/support%20evidence/lsmith.htm