SPD Support Forum

Full Version: What are your favorite OT toys and tools for your kids?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am still in the process of getting all the paperwork and recommendations for my 7 year old son. However, I was thinking of purchasing some toys and tools for home to help him now. He has motor planning issues, auditory discrimination issues, visual tracking issues among other things.

I was thinking of buying a balance board or stilts. Has anyone found either of these helpful?

I have heard games like Battleship might be good for visual tracking, auditory discrimination. He LOVES boardgames. Any suggestions?

He is having trouble reading and writing due to the visual/ auditory issues. Again, anyone know of any games/ tools that they have found helpful? His OT at school has tried colored filters which seem to be helping, so I'll try those too.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

-Hope

I should also mention that we live in an apartment building and have no backyard, so whatever I get has to be 'downstairs neighbor friendly'.

-Hope
When I went to see Temple Grandin, she said for visual to try sunglasses with a pastel tint, pastel paper instead of white. Of course the florscent lights are a huge issue, she said to have the child put by the window and with a desk lamp. Maybe picture board for planning, can print picture cards for free online. Ummmmmm, I will look through some of my books and get back to ya!
(10-16-2012, 07:08 PM)heather40 Wrote: [ -> ]When I went to see Temple Grandin, she said for visual to try sunglasses with a pastel tint, pastel paper instead of white. Of course the florscent lights are a huge issue, she said to have the child put by the window and with a desk lamp. Maybe picture board for planning, can print picture cards for free online. Ummmmmm, I will look through some of my books and get back to ya!

Thanks so much. His OT at school has been trying colored overlays with him for reading and it seems to be really helping. I will try the pastel paper as well. I hadn't thought of that. The overlays will not help him with the writing, but maybe pastel paper will. I may look into getting Irlin glasses for him (if I save my $$!), since the overlays seem to be working. He is by a window, but it is right over the school playground Sad. I did order him sound reducing ear muffs, I will see if they help.

I have heard games like Simon are helpful. This will probably be a lot of trial and error.

-Hope
I have not had a lot of experience with visual issues, we have ALL the others tho. lol THe ear muffs help. We only now have to use them at parades , which if I don't have to go to one of those I am good. lol She said the sunglasses from Target with the pastel lens work great, so maybe until you can get the others. She was funny she was all about getting things for free! Tan paper too with the pastels! (either or) I lent out some of my books with ideas in them, I will hunt them down and look!
(10-16-2012, 11:02 PM)heather40 Wrote: [ -> ]I have not had a lot of experience with visual issues, we have ALL the others tho. lol THe ear muffs help. We only now have to use them at parades , which if I don't have to go to one of those I am good. lol She said the sunglasses from Target with the pastel lens work great, so maybe until you can get the others. She was funny she was all about getting things for free! Tan paper too with the pastels! (either or) I lent out some of my books with ideas in them, I will hunt them down and look!

I will totally try the Target glasses. I could be awhile before we can get him the Irlin ones. Thanks so much for your help. I am really new to all of this, although I guarantee you I have SPD too. I just never knew there was a diagnosis for the way I have been my whole life Smile. I do think I have the visual problem, I just always thought I had mild dyslexia and figured I was super light sensitive because my eyes are so light. But, my son has it a lot more pronounced than me. I am more sensory defensive- can't STAND people in my space or bumping into me. And, I definitely have noise issues. I simply can't hear if there are too many (even quiet) conversations in a room. But, I am new to understanding that it is a disorder and that it can be managed.

I will see what books I can find in Barnes and Noble. I did read somewhere that movement exercises can help with the visual stuff, and all of it. I have found a tennis program for kids who have special needs and am trying to get him in it. They have OT's teaching. It sounds great.

I am just in the waiting period for the written suggestions, plan of action. But, I want to try and help him out asap as it is really affecting his performance at school. We all thought he may have dyslexia and ADD, but he didn't have typical presentations of either of those. I was so glad I took him to be evaluated. After they spoke of SPD, it was the first time literally everything about him made sense- from his lack of focus, to his bumping into people, to his low muscle tone and poor coordination. I'm just glad we know what we are dealing with finally.
IT is great to get that answer! My x husband was always in denial, 'You always have to put a label on everything!" Well without a label your son would't have come as far as he has! That is why he is an x! lol Anyway... all I can say is read as much info as you can, maybe find a group in your area. Ugh, well have to go do homework now! blah!
Our OT recommended setting up two objects about 10 feet apart and having our daughter walk in figure eights around the two objects. This helps with balance and visual perception (crossing mid line). She also recommended having them track an object with only their eyes (no moving their head) that you hold in your hand. Our daughter has shown some improvement with these activities, but she can't walk the figure eight unless we direct her or put a string or something on the floor to get her to cross in the middle. She is inclined to walk in an oval without direction.
Another thing that's helping my daughter is a Hippity Hop. We just found one on Amazon for $10. It's not easy for her to hop with it without tipping over, but she still enjoys it and is getting better and better. Two weeks ago she learned to ride her bike without training wheels, so I know without a doubt the OT and home exercises are helping.
Writing her letters is still a struggle for her. They come out all different sizes, and she can't stay on a line, so if anyone has any ideas about helping her with that, I'd love to hear about it.
Yes, I agree, Heather. Great to have an answer.

LAC, my other son's OT suggested using really small pencils and/or crayons to help with the writing. I don't know if your daughter is having trouble from a visual/perceptual issue, or if it's just getting her hands to do what she wants. But, short pencil stubs do seem to help my younger son have more control over his writing. They are forced to hold it down really low, and it gives more control. Otherwise, maybe you could try what Heather suggested for my other son, the pastel lined paper. I have also seen paper (been googling Smile ), where they have alternating shaded lines, one maybe white, one a different color. Those may help too.

Thank you for your suggestions, I will try them all.
WIth writing the letters can you draw a large size like block letter and have her trace inside of it or when I worked in Early CHildhood Spec. Ed, the teacher used to take theraputty and form the letter and have the kids trace inside with their pencil then they can't go outside the lines. Then gradually make the letter smaller and smaller. Maybe a pencil gripper on the pencil, a lot of cutting will build small motor, playing with play dough if it is tolerated.
(10-18-2012, 08:49 AM)heather40 Wrote: [ -> ]WIth writing the letters can you draw a large size like block letter and have her trace inside of it or when I worked in Early CHildhood Spec. Ed, the teacher used to take theraputty and form the letter and have the kids trace inside with their pencil then they can't go outside the lines. Then gradually make the letter smaller and smaller. Maybe a pencil gripper on the pencil, a lot of cutting will build small motor, playing with play dough if it is tolerated.

Awesome idea! That's the best idea for writing letters I've heard yet.
Pages: 1 2