SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Frustration with what I feel like is regression...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This is my first posting in this forum. I'm the mom of a 5 1/2 year old child who recently got diagnosed with SPD. To make things more difficult, we are currently living in India teaching at an international school. The school has been very supportive, and we do have an excellent OT here. However, the behavior issues have been overwhelming. I feel like the OT is helping (it's only been a few weeks), but he still has these major setbacks. They are doing a play in his kindergarten class and he wants no part of it unless he can pick a role. A year ago, he was a well-behaved child in a play where he was given a role and he really enjoyed it. I can't help but feel he's regressed. He had a BAD meltdown at OT last night so that seems to be coloring my perceptions. We're pretty isolated here, so I'm hoping this forum will provide me with some support. Thanks for listening all.
THis is just my perception, but I remember when my son would go to his OT he would have sensory over load. Even though it is helping him think of all the stimulation that is happening to their system that is already haywire. I personally think that this could be part of it. He is being made to do things his body/mind do not want to do. So until he gets acclimated to these things he might be over stimulated a bit, then it might happen again with a new transition. Just my thoughts! This forum is excellent, it will help you a lot!
That's a really good point. He had a wonderful session last night. I suppose I have to realize that this is all a process. How long has your son been doing OT? Has it helped with the meltdowns?
I agree with Heather. My daughter gets very cranky after OT more often than not. We took a week off when we went on vacation and were amazed at how much better she behaved on vacation. I remember reading in one of the numerous SPD books I read that OT works best to do it intensively for several weeks, then take a two week break. Thanks for reminding me about that. I think it's time for a break here. Her behavior has been going downhill for about two weeks.
He hasn't ben able to have OT for some time, I do my own OTing. Ins wouldn't allow it anymore, now my x doesn't have ins. school won't give it to him, and I can't pay privately. So I do what i can from home and incorporate what I can through the asst. principal. My school dist special ed department is awful. I have taken what I learned from his other OT's and I incorporate it and make my own stuff. My boyfriend's daughter is an OT and works with kids with autism so she helps me with things as well. I am still in contact with my son's OT from Easter seals for early intervention, she is unbeleiveable, whenever I have a problem I am sending her a message!! I read, go to seminars, find new ways, watch for different behaviors from him and try and catchthem before they get too out of control! So, that is how it has to be for now unfortunately.