SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Paxil for 4 Year Old
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone else have a preschooler on Paxil for anxiety? Have you found it successful? My son's anxiety got really bad to where he was starting to experience physical symptoms, not just intense emotions. He even developed migraines. We just started Paxil last week. So far, I have seen the intensity of his meltdowns decrease, and he even had one meltdown free day, which hasn't happened in months. We are on a low dose for two weeks and then we increase the dose for another two weeks, before he goes back for a check-up to see how it's working. So far, no side effects that I've seen. Just thought I'd post to see what your experiences were. hug
Antidepressants scare the hell out of me based on my experiences. I am overly sensitive to the whole class of antidepressants.My oversensitivaty can be compared to a childs nervous system. Paxil is very deceptive. I too used it. Yes it appeared to have no side effects and it worked. Good? Not really. After a month I started getting multiple bruises on my leg. Then one day I was shaving my leg in the morning shower and I got a small cut which I covered with a bandaid and forgot about it. I went about my day. At the end of the day at home I sat down and I noticed that my sock had a blood stain and the bandaid had come off. Then I realized that that tiny cut had been bleeding the entire day. Needless to say I was hysterical with fright.I never took it again. Then I found out something more terrifying. It is not listed in the side effects.I have no bleeding problems.No Clotting problems and Paxil gave them to me. Luckily as soon as I was off of it the problem went. If it can happen to me it can happen to anyone. Don't risk it. Instead goto the pharmacist and ask what neurotransmitter Paxil targets. Write the neurotransmitters down and then ask which amino acids target the same neurotransmitters. For serotonin I use 5 htp. For dopamine DLPA and noreprinephrine also DLPA.I used these amino acids to replicate the effects of welbutrin. It was not perfect but my winter SAD depression was almost gone this winter. It was a blessing. It was also a lot healthier for me. However I did find that in the summer months with 5htp my serotonin levels did get too high and I stopped emotionally caring about things and people. That was when I stopped the 5htp for the summer and I have avoided that effect. That was the only side effect I encountered. That is hardly potentially lethal. If your son developes unusual bruising get him off it. Research the amino acids.My experience is that they are much safer.
(05-28-2014, 10:41 PM)Elizabeth Wrote: [ -> ]Then I realized that that tiny cut had been bleeding the entire day. Needless to say I was hysterical with fright.I never took it again. Then I found out something more terrifying. It is not listed in the side effects.I have no bleeding problems.No Clotting problems and Paxil gave them to me.

That side effect is listed in the Prescribing Information sheet.
https://www.apotex.com/us/en/products/do...tb_ins.pdf
Quote:Abnormal Bleeding: SSRIs and SNRIs, including paroxetine, may increase the risk of
bleeding events. Concomitant use of aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, warfarin, and
other anticoagulants may add to this risk. Case reports and epidemiological studies (case-control
and cohort design) have demonstrated an association between use of drugs that interfere with
serotonin reuptake and the occurrence of gastrointestinal bleeding. Bleeding events related to
SSRIs and SNRIs use have ranged from ecchymoses, hematomas, epistaxis, and petechiae to
life-threatening hemorrhages. Patients should be cautioned about the risk of bleeding associated
with the concomitant use of paroxetine and NSAIDs, aspirin, or other drugs that affect
coagulation.

(05-28-2014, 10:41 PM)Elizabeth Wrote: [ -> ]Write the neurotransmitters down and then ask which amino acids target the same neurotransmitters. For serotonin I use 5 htp. For dopamine DLPA and noreprinephrine also DLPA.I used these amino acids to replicate the effects of welbutrin. It was not perfect but my winter SAD depression was almost gone this winter. It was a blessing. It was also a lot healthier for me.

Importantly, you should never combine Paxil with 5-htp. It usually best to wait a couple of weeks as they can interact.

So stop paxil, wait a couple of weeks start 5-htp.

But I would suggest speaking to your pharmacy, doctor and/or a herbalist before starting your son on any herbal remedies so you can get the dosages right and to make sure it's safe.

Note doctors usually shy away from herbal products so you may best to talk to the supplying herbal shop or a herbalist.

(05-28-2014, 10:41 PM)Elizabeth Wrote: [ -> ]For dopamine DLPA and noreprinephrine also DLPA.I used these amino acids to replicate the effects of welbutrin.

Now I'm not very familiar with Phenylalanine (DLPA). From what I can read it regulates dopamine levels. I would be careful giving this to someone so young. I would recommend giving them the more natural sources. This website has a list http://www.livestrong.com/article/426229...ylalanine/ (Egg Whites, Nuts and Seeds, Meat and Fish, Dairy and Soy)

Being in my early 20's I hate having to take these medications and would much prefer to try herbal products. But unfortunately doctors won't recommend them and it's expensive to see a herbalist as they aren't funded by the health care system. But I've been told in my case herbal products aren't strong enough for the severity of my symptoms. But I would still like to try them.

EDIT: Opps, never realised how old this topic was. Well I hope someone finds it useful Smile