SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Sensory Blankets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What brand of sensory blanket do you use? Do they work? This is one pricey item that we have not yet tried. But with research lately, I am seeing it could be a great thing for my 4.5 year old. He has always had trouble sleeping, but I'm wondering if he just needs to feel more secure to really get a good nights sleep and keep him out of my bed in the middle of the night. Please share what you use, where you purchased it and how it helped you! I'm so curious!
If you visit SPDBlogger.net and search for weighted blanket, somewhere on there there's a link to how to make your own. In addition, if you're on facebook, they're currently having a weighted blanket give away.
I made my own. It was a weekend long project for a queen size blanket. At some point my directions are going to be shared once I finish cleaning them up and Dan and I remember at the same time that we want to share my directions in an article so people can have directions for making weighted blankets if they want to make them. (This might make either one or both of us more committed)
I make them, I had to for my son. THey are too expenxive to buy, so I started making them for kis that need them. Makes me sick how much people charge for these. ANyway.. to answer your question, yes they absolutly work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I probably am now making about 2-3 a week! Every response is how much they have helped their child.
Awesome! Thanks! I found a good deal online last night for one. I was NOT spending $200 for a blanket!!!! I found one for much less that is the appropriate weight for my son. So, I'm excited to see how it helps him! I'll try to remember to follow up on this post with how it worked for us Smile
Good!!!! Remember it cost about $40 for a 15 lb box of pellets, depending on the length of material, I get it on sale for about $6/yd so make sure you don't pay more than $50 for a 5 lb blanket and $11.95 in shipping!
That's great! I only paid $50 for the blanket and $12 for shipping, so it looks like I found a great deal!
Good! I went to Temple Grandin conference and these women there were selling 5 lb blankets for $85 I wanted to scream! I am sure it is their means of support, but when you know the cost and how long it takes to make one, I found that to be very high! Especially when this is something that is so needed it seems like a crime to overcharge to help a person! I hope it helps! It should I know the one I made for my son has and the many people I have made them for they all write me and let me know!
(10-26-2012, 07:15 AM)heather40 Wrote: [ -> ]Good! I went to Temple Grandin conference and these women there were selling 5 lb blankets for $85 I wanted to scream! I am sure it is their means of support, but when you know the cost and how long it takes to make one, I found that to be very high! Especially when this is something that is so needed it seems like a crime to overcharge to help a person! I hope it helps! It should I know the one I made for my son has and the many people I have made them for they all write me and let me know!

How are you making them so fast?

I was looking at making and selling things of this sort, but I was not being able to figure out any methods for making them quickly enough to sell them at a decent cost.

Selling them for $50, you have 2.5 hours to do everything be making minimum wage on a 5 lb blanket.
I really don't do it so much for profit, beleive me! lol It takes me about 45 min to make a 5 lb blanket. WHatever I make I recycle it back into it, I have other things I am working on as well that are still under construction. I did have to raise my price a bit to $40 for a 5 lb., The cost of material varies, weight, pellets can change cost based on oil prices, if someone wants satin binding, character material, etc... THings like that are extra, I try to always use a coupon to keep their cost down. I just remember how frustrating it was when I couldn't get one for my son, my friend showed me how to do it and then I made him one for hardly anything. To watch him struggle not to be able to self soothe it is just such a sad thing, it is not something that should be profitted on. I am a single mom, two boys, believe me I TOTALLY need the cash, but I get more out of helping these kids, because it is such a thing that goes unnoticed and ignored. It is a way to show support and when the lady at the cutting counter asks me "what are you going to make" I tell her and she has never heard of it before! Now another person does! My friends think I am nuts for not charging more, but I feel like I would be profiting off of someones disability and it doesn't feel right.
Pages: 1 2