SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Some advice...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry if this is the wrong area. I literally signed up 20 minutes ago, post an introduction and here I am.

My son was recently diagnosed with SPD. I am looking for the best books to educate myself and my husband with. Most of the books I am finding online are geared towards SPD & Autism. He was tested for Autism, and Asperger's, which they said he didn't have either. So I am looking for suggestions, on just SPD books. Thanks in advance!
Just remember SPD is an 'autistic tendency" so those books can shed some light on this as well, I never pass them up! But...... "The In-Sync Child" is a good one, there is one that is by the same lady that is games for the In Sync CHild, I have a 101 Games and activities for children with Autism, Apsergers, and SPD. By Tara Delaney ummmmm My son has SPD, but beieve me all the other books help as well. I have lent out so many of my books I can't go look at their titles. Check the Facebook page for this support site it has a bunch of awesome ideas, list some of his tendencies we ALL can give you suggestions because we are all there. Read some of th posts on here from the adults with SPD that can give you a lot of insight as to what your son is feeling and going through. ALways remember to put yourself in his shoes and be his strongest advocate! We are all here for ya!!!!!! Nice to meet you!
Sensational Kids is one I really liked.
The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder & The Sensory-Sensitive Child: Practical Solutions for Out-of-Bounds Behavior - I've read both in the past two weeks and found them very helpful! Also visit this website: http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com
The Out of Sync Child was the one that we read. Actually, my wife read it and when I came home at night she would read me parts of it each night as she went through it.
My favorite for practical, hands-on material, easy to read was Growing an In-Sync Child. I also enjoyed Sensational Kids. The current book I'm reading which has been very helpful with behavioral problems is: Effective Parenting for the Hard-To-Manage Child. My daughter's favorite kid's book is Ellie Bean the Drama Queen, about a little girl with SPD. The Out-of-Sync Child was the first book I read and was how we discovered our daughter had SPD, but I found it difficult to get through the entire book. I had to do it in little bites. I was glad I did, though, because the last chapter is loaded with resources that I have used again and again. I would also recommend a website: sensorysmarts.com. I haven't read the book recommended on that site, but the resources and information are very helpful. Welcome to the site. We're glad you joined us and look forward to hearing from you on the posts.