SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Meltdowns, and when they occur
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, everyone has their own triggers for meltdowns, but there are some general correlations that people should watch out for when looking for learning when meltdowns occur in themselves or in others, their children or otherwise. Even if they're not actual triggers, there are things that make it easier to trigger meltdowns

This list is in no particular order. It's just in the order that they're coming to mind. It also is not at all a complete list, its just what I came up with right now, and other people certainly have more ideas that I didn't include.

-Hungy?
-Thirsty?
-Tired?

These are straightforward, a body needs taken care of. Missing the basics of food and water, even at a lower dosage than will affect most people, meltdowns are more likely, even when its not true low blood sugar.

-Weather patterns.

This one I discussed with a parent at occupational therapy. She couldn't figure out why her son had been having worse meltdowns for the past two weeks. I mentioned to her that a hurricane had just gone by, and that hurricanes will do that to people. Low pressure systems are in particular a weather pattern that are particularly common to have effects but weather in general will, and what weather it is will vary on the person.

-Too high of expectations or being forced to do something when they can't

Self explanatory. Similar to the above there is

-Being unable to do something they feel they have to do, feeling out of control in other methods

I don't mean like tantruming. I mean like for an autistic person, needing to communicate something and not being able to get the idea across. The same idea applies in SPD.

-Change **Even when that change is good**

Change is hard for everyone. Change is harder for people who need to deal with more things.

What's worth note here is that it doesn't matter whether the changes are good changes, or changes that the person wants, they're still things that need to be adapted to, and that means still more prone to meltdown. Adaptations take time.

- Too many new things in too short of a period of time

Similar to change, processing too many new things of any sort, whether they are academic, emotional, sensory, or other, is overwhelming, and puts people on edge. Its makes it harder to cope with things that are hard to cope with, like sensory input that is overwhelming, and makes people prone to meltdowns.

- People who aren't understanding

Pretty straightforward, and unfortunately, pretty common. When you're near meltdown, people who are trying to act like its not a big deal, you're making it up. It's hard to deal with in general, but when you're already overloaded, its too much, meltdown.

-Being around people who aren't in a good mood

Being around people who are in having a bad day, people with SPD more often pick up on those emotions and react to them strongly. They more often can't cope with those emotions when they're dealing with that as well.

To take that to the next level.

-Being around others who are in meltdown

Meltdowns trigger meltdowns. It's really unfortunate and it happens a lot. Especially in people who are close to each other. Children triggering parents' meltdowns. People triggering meltdowns of SOs... People triggering meltdowns of close friends. But even without that, meltdowns trigger meltdowns even when you don't know the person.
That was really good! Thanks!
Tuttleturtle - nice job! This is very informative, and on the nose!!! Smile stacey
I recently read the following blog regarding tantrums vs. meltdowns. I thought it was very helpful, and this post reminded me of it:
http://www.spdbloggernetwork.com/2011/05...-behavior/

I second your list, especially the one about being around people in a bad mood. Our day care provider has been very grumpy for the past couple of months, and the meltdowns have dramatically increased during that time. My husband is now picking her up from the bus stop every day instead of having her go to day care for the last hour and a half each day, and the meltdowns are decreasing.

I would also add to the list diet. Children who are extremely sensitive to dyes, preservatives, sugar, and any number of other things, can be prone to meltdowns.