SPD Support Forum

Full Version: crosses his arms and shakes!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I've gotta ask - so one of the reasons the OT brought up SPD was because Kaleb does this weird shake thing. He'll litterally cross his arms over his chest and tighten up ever muscle in his body for a souple seconds NO JOKE! Some days he does it more than other and really does it up when he's excited. I just thought it was a funny tick he did when he was excited but often wondered about it. The teacher says he'll do it over little things for example when he pours a glass of milk - she said he'll tighten up his fist. I havent' seen that or maybe i'm just too use to it and just don't notice anymore??? I have no idea. They think is related ot the SPD and even said a weighted vest might help for it. Honestly it's not that big of a deal and is kinda cute - at this age. I suppose at 15 it might seem strange. Does anyone else have a child that does this? Will they grow out of it? I cannot imagine when he's a little older and realzies he's doing it that he'll continue to do it unless of course it's something he had no control over??? Ig anyone could shed some light on this for me that would be awesome! Thanks everyone!!!
Maybe it is his way of stimming? Deals with his anxiety?
When I read this - I thought of how my son - who has tourettes, spd and fibromyalgia, does this when he is frustrated, and he will also do this when he is in pain. I mean the tightening of his fist, or stiffens his arms. I have spd, and fibromyalgia, and I do the same. When I am in pain, I try to redirect my physical feeling into the muscle - usually my hands. I do the same when I am frustrated and in major pain. I am thinking of how I will grip a shopping cart - so hard - because I am trying to get through the shopping trip, but am so overstimulated and in so much pain. My son, is 12 and has trouble pouring glasses of anything. He spills quite often. But I have seen him do it the most when he is mad. Could it be a sense of pent up energy, from using such control to pour a cup of something? That would make sense to me. Like an outlet? A bit like the getting home after school, and keeping control, only to have a meltdown, to let it out. A mini sort of that? Not that its bad for sure. What is bad, is what my son has started to do. He gets so mad, and frustrated with his dad, that he fists up, and starts pounding his hips! I am trying to redirect him, to a punching bag we have. It worked this weekend. It seems like a release that he needs. Have you asked your son about what it feels like to him when he does it? Does it give him a sense of relief, or comfort?
I thought my son was only one who did this. He doesn't do it quite as much now, but still does when extremely frustrated or angry.