SPD Support Forum

Full Version: picking/making sores on hands
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am new here and am wondering if anyone else has info. or has a child that picks sores. My 6 year old son has a spot on each of his hands (between the thumb and the pointer finger) that he has created sores on by using his pointing finger to scratch at. He seems to do this without realizing it. Does this seem like a SID behavior? thanks for your thoughtsHuh
Not necessarily. My hunband picks on scabs, cuts, etc until they bleed, but he isn't in the least sensory.
For me I don't like the feelings of zits and scabs, smooth skin feels best so sometimes I will pick at things because I don't like the rough feeling. If the sores were not there to begin with it could be an anxiety type thing??
I was going to say anxiety, too. The main reason is that you say that he is not aware he is doing it, so maybe he is doing it during times of stress?
these are sores that he has made from picking; not picking on scabs that are there for other reasons. Yes, I think it is a nervous habit but since I am new and just learning about SPD "stuff" I thought I would ask. Thanks everyone!
There is a little boy in one of the classes I sub for ( special ed) and he obviously has severe anxiety, SPD, OCD, etc... Anyway he will pick the skin off his hands when he gets stressed out. His hands are very raw. I brought him in a pencil with a wingnut topper on it to try and redirect him.
I pick/bite/scratch my hands too. I am just coming to the realization that it is because I am hyposensitive and need the strong sensation in my hands to keep myself on an even keel. I am going to try some fidget toys and chew tubes, in case there is hyposensitivity orally as well (I suspect there is as I like my foods very spicy or salty).
You might want to try similar things with your son