SPD Support Forum

Full Version: TV: good or bad?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My 4 year old has just recently been diagnosed with SPD so we're still learning and figuring things out. I'm just curious what some of your thoughts are on TV. Sometimes, he can watch a short video (30 minutes) and be calm and fine afterward. Other times, he's just wild...even if it's the same video both times. I'm kind of thinking of removing the TV watching for a few days and see if that is the cause or if it's something else. Sometimes, I feel it makes things worse especially if he watches something before pre-school. Not sure if it's a factor or not. Does anyone have any noticeable issues they notice regarding TV viewing?
My son is fine with tv, but video games are another story. We have to be VERY strict on limiting the time on them. He can get very wound, and also very cranky with them.
We don't have cable at our house and only watch DVDs, and that no more than a half hour a day, with maybe a full-length movie on the weekend. Our daughter only watches a show or movie if one of us watches it with her and we maintain some type of interaction with her while she watches, ie. sitting on a lap, commenting on what's going on, holding her hand, etc. If she watches it with no type of outside stimulation, she zones out and things get very bad as soon as the show is over. She's a sensory seeker, so shows and movies just don't give her enough sensory input to keep her behavior "just right".
I find tv helpful for me! lol, Seriously, I don't have a problem with my son with it. When he first started playing his DS that did cause some excitement, but not anymore. The TV, I have to give him a 5 min warning if it is time to go, he ha to be ready for school before he can start watching in the morning or I will never get him moving. The weekends, I don't care, after school, he gets his 30 min snack and tv break to come down from school then homework. It is up to you how much you want your child watching and what they watch.
For me, anything over a half an hour is bad. I get over stimulated, grumpy, and fearful. There are two things that make this worse: the longer I watch TV and if I watch TV when I'm a bit tired. It can take me hours to recover.
Really! That is interesting, maybe I will start cutting it back after the first of the year. Can't do anything now he will be spending a week with his father, no hope there!
My son watches the tv on his head or hanging off the sofa. Some times he is fine after but other times he is so hyper. It depends on what input he has had before watching too. If he has had enough heavy work it levels him out.
Does his father have trouble with him while he has him, just asking as my ex didn't believe there was anything wrong with my son. He thought I was nuts so wouldn't stick to his diet etc.
He never sees him anymore, he also had trouble with his behaviour. Wonder why.
For me it's the only thing that seems to calm
My child. Its my only form of break from
Her and her constant manic state or the
Meltdowns. I've tried periods of no tv
And she's worse so for me to cope I am
Letting her watch a lot more than 30 mins
A day. It's the least of my problems at the
Moment. I just put her in her room bc she
Was having a meltdown and she has upended
Her bedroom and smashed her beautiful doll
House and lots of other things and smashed
Her window. Feel very flat and helpless. I don't
Know what to do with her. I'm still waiting for
OT to start
Tv ok, video games time limits! Too obsessed!!!!!!! My son also hangs upside down on the couch watching it!!! lol It is his break after school or after a busy day.