SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Young adult with SPD desperately needing help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am the mother of a young adult daughter who has SPD. Symptoms were present from birth. She was a sensitive and shy child. Problems started with severe adversion to the feel of clothing on her body. Tantrums would errupt and I didn't know what was wrong. Pediatrician's were clueless. Outsiders looked at it as a behavioral problem. At 8 years old we got a diagnosis of SPD. She received very little therapy and we thought she would grow out of it. She dealt with this disorder on her own. Upon graduating High School is when things turned for the worse. It has been 1 1/2 years and we have hit crisis mode. Her recent "meltdown" landed her in the Psych ward of a local hospital because she threatened to kill herself. It was the worst day of her life and mine. She laid there frail and scared in silence with tears rolling down her face. She clearly did not belong there and thank God they released her to me, but only after enduring hours of isolation and scrutiny. I know now that she wasn't going to harm herself, her tantrum and words were her only release from the pain she was feeling at the time. I should never have allowed that to happen. But at the time I didn't know if she would follow through on her threat. I feel guilty that we didn't get her help sooner and realize we only contributed to her pain by our frustration with her for laying in bed so much Huh[/size]and isolating herself in her room and for not being able to find a job. With that wake up call I am now DESPERATE to find her help. I realize how much pain she is in. We've taken her to three different therapists who have no clue as to what SPD is. Her physician has treated her with medication for anxiety and depression which of course is a symptom of the disorder. I don't know where to turn but I am on a mission to find it. Where do I begin? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. I don't know if I can give my geographic location on this site, but I have had trouble finding an OT and doctor in our area who specialize in this area. Thanks!
Maybe give your state? My son is 8 with SPD, but I have a friend who has a son who has SPD and she thought for sure he would outgrow it, he is in high school now and has repeatedly threatened to commit suicide. She has had to have him put in the hospital a few times, I wonder if it could be something that comes with getting older and changes? Sheesh. There are many adults/teens on here that have SPD that post, look on the list of different topics and maybe find something in relation to what you need and ask the question on there for a faster response! I know how it stinks waiting for an answer! I wish I could help you more.
Maybe try you local social services agency? They might have a list of resources that could at least give you a place to start calling. Also, OTs might not specialize in SPD, but they might know about it; my son sees an OT who is part of a whole treatment center that works with a wide range of people. Perhaps do a search for something like that. I agree with Heather, also look for posts from adults/teens on this site and see what they have said. Good luck!!!
this is for anyone looking for help parents or child. Sometimes it is good to go into a drug rehab because they dont have any other health facilities to care for you long term like a month.(in my county at least) i had a meltdown at 19 and went from the emergency room to crisis unit. i was thinking ''why am i here with all these crazy people and drug addicts.'' in the end i had to go to a drug rehab(for marijuana) but the benefit was a completely stress free enviroment helped reset my nerves. i didnt have to worry about food all i had to do was to it walk around and listen to 2 group therapies a day. the group of people i was with were all recovering addicts so every1 kept to themselves. however the downside is i cant change my assesment for going in and im banned from certifying in the medical field for 5 years.
I can't put my finger on my copy right now, but I think there's an excellent list of resources in the back of the Out Of Sync Child book. There is probably something in that list that could steer you in the right direction.
Hello,
I am new here but my story is very similar to your daughters and too as a teen tried to kill myself. I however primarly self harmed. It wasn't until I was 16 that I was diagnosed with being on the spectrum, (as a kid it was either you were nonverbal for you didn't have Autism at all, there was no spectrum, I am now 28) and even though I had treatment for my sensory issues since birth the combo of them being super severe and having the added social issues was too much. As a kid I worked with the lady who founded the Star institute in Colorado, Lucy. She is retried now but she built the team and headed the way to much of the research done about sensory issues. I highly highly recommend seeking help from their team as they are ahead of the game in research and ways to help kids and adults with all levels of sensory issues. They do free consultations so I think this would be one of the best places to start. I didn't know that my self harm (I got treatment and no longer self harm!) was very directly related to my sensory issues as a teen. It was the way I dealt with every unpleasant, overwhelming stimuli. Here is the link to the Star Institute. I don't know where you live but they are very flexible and can also recommend help locally if you are not in CO. https://www.google.com/search?client=saf...8&oe=UTF-8
I won't lie to you, and say I am not still massively affected by my sensory issues as an adult (actually going to be restarting therapy with their team at Star) but I will say I am no longer a danger to myself and having someone out their that understands and is researching about how this stuff works really is a huge burden taken off my shoulders. They know its not our faults, its a fight or flight response to things we can not control. Their are also meds in addition to therapy that can really help and I am trying a new one now (Nodolal) Been on Prozac for it since I was 4 but that was before new research about Beta blockers helping came out. I wish you both the best, feel free to message me privately if you would like to ask any questions or need someone to chat with!