SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Tinted lenses!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
3 or 4 DAYS!
They look cool!
Hi TT - what do tinted lenses help with?
Visual sensitivity - bright lights, florescent lights, glare, changes in light amount, sunlight

Visual disturbances - seeing halos, seeing things moving when I'm looking at them that aren't moving

Poor visual processing - poor depth perception, inability to track where something is when its moving, poor hand-eye coordination (the eye-part of that)

Responses to these sensitivities - tension headaches, migraines, performance degrading huge amounts

http://irlen.com/index.php?s=selftests are useful self-tests

I didn't get my tinted lenses through the irlen center, but I have been tested for irlen syndrome and got overlays through them. I got my tinted lenses with more personal work. They help a lot for me.

The basic idea is using a color that helps with your visual processing to allow you to have better visual processing and less visual overload. For me that's a blue-grey. I found what particular shade by testing and then had the optomistrist make me lenses and put them in frames for me and now I wear them around always like people who wear prescription glasses even though mine is for light sensitivity instead of issues with things being blurry.
Wow, that's amazing! Smile

After looking through the irlen sight I think my DH definitely has this... he really battles to read(not that he can't, just that it's hard for him) - irritates his eyes, can't focus, tires his eyes very quickly (he always jokes that reading is the fastest way to put himself to sleep), he never reads for pleasure.

So this is interesting. our son sees EVERYTHING so I'm not sure he has much of a processing issue, but more a modulation issue. But still. This is so great!
Does it help with aging eyes?Does it come in purple sunglasses?
When it comes to aging eyes, what are your issues; are they issues with visual sensitivities? That's what a tint tends to help with.

Many people with visual sensitivities have some color tint that if they use that tint, they function better and don't have things bother them. For me, that color is a grey-blue. For someone else I know its a purple. For someone else, a pink.

In each our cases, using a tint in glasses makes our brain process vision better and makes us get less overloaded by it.

If you know purple would help you, something you could do is go to an optometrist, and see if they will make something purple for you. I can get things dyed my specific shade of blue, and put into glasses frames, at the place my family buys glasses, and they'd be able to do that as well as have a prescription as well (mine are non-prescription)
I reckon this is unique to me.

I have sensitivities to bright light, I much prefer days where they're are clouds covering the sky. But that is also because I hate being able to see infinitely into the sky.

I have found something that alters what I'm supposed to be seeing makes me anxious. Is there anyone else here that feels more anxious when using tinted lenses. It particularly makes me feel more anxious when they are tinted a certain colour. Makes me feel as if I'm tripped out. I guess it's less of a sensory processing thing and more of an anxiety issue.