SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Under armour / compression garments
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I'm searching hard for compression-style garments, specifically a short-sleeved shirt or vest.

I can't seem to find anything that has the size I need. My son is 6, but he's little, wears age 4-5 or 5-6.
So to get something that would offer a tight-fit I need a 3-4, but I can't tell whether, if I buy the small / toddler size, if it will be wearable -will it be long enough? will it feel too small to him?

We're in South Africa, so generally it's too warm to buy the long-sleeve stuff to wear under other clothes. Ideally I need something quite plain that he will be able to wear under his school uniform.

I've looked on some of the SPD sites, and while there are compression garments on a few of them (and not many!), they all only list the really tiny (under 3 years) sizes and the large sizes - or med/large, from 9-10 and up.

Any ideas for something else I can try? I thought of thermal underwear but as we're only in autumn we still have a number of quite hot days, so I can't put him in a thermal vest year-round.

We do have sports-wear stores but the smallest sizes they offer are 4-5 and it's a baggy fit Sad

Any other ideas???? I really think something like this could benefit him a lot, but there doesn't seem to be much on offer.
I know we purchased an Under Armour-type shirt at Target for our daughter. It fit very snug and was quite long. It was called C9 by Champion compression shirt. She was about 40 pounds when I bought it at 4 years old and it was quite snug (size 4).
Thanks, but unfortunately we don't have any Target stores here. Sad

A local store has offered to do a special order for us ***YAY***!!! I'm waiting to hear when they can get it here for us. Smile
Can your order online at Target.com?
Hi LAC,

The prohibitive part at the moment is the very high international shipping rates to SA and the customs taxes.

For eg: the sports shop can get the shirt for me for R300 total cost

Ordering it online - the shirt itself costs R197 on the UA site, but the shipping + taxes rounds the total cost to R735.

Other sites are similar - no-one seems to offer low shipping to SA.

But so far so good with the sports shop - which makes this mom very happy!

Thanks Smile
Hi Kate,
Go to Spioworks.com. They have a product that is very lightweight, but very strong and can be worn for extended lengths of time. They also have a money back guarantee if you're not satisfied. The garment is used for either strong proprioceptive input or to help with extreme joint laxity. Hope this helps.
Matt -- Occupational Therapist

(04-02-2013, 10:23 AM)Kate_M Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

I'm searching hard for compression-style garments, specifically a short-sleeved shirt or vest.

I can't seem to find anything that has the size I need. My son is 6, but he's little, wears age 4-5 or 5-6.
So to get something that would offer a tight-fit I need a 3-4, but I can't tell whether, if I buy the small / toddler size, if it will be wearable -will it be long enough? will it feel too small to him?

We're in South Africa, so generally it's too warm to buy the long-sleeve stuff to wear under other clothes. Ideally I need something quite plain that he will be able to wear under his school uniform.

I've looked on some of the SPD sites, and while there are compression garments on a few of them (and not many!), they all only list the really tiny (under 3 years) sizes and the large sizes - or med/large, from 9-10 and up.

Any ideas for something else I can try? I thought of thermal underwear but as we're only in autumn we still have a number of quite hot days, so I can't put him in a thermal vest year-round.

We do have sports-wear stores but the smallest sizes they offer are 4-5 and it's a baggy fit Sad

Any other ideas???? I really think something like this could benefit him a lot, but there doesn't seem to be much on offer.