SPD Support Forum

Full Version: Mom and son with SPD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi I'm mom to a wonderful SPD son who is 5. We found out about SPD about 9 months ago and in the process of learning more about it, I have come to realize I have SPD too. Its a blessing in that I have insight into what is going on with him and also sad because I was never given the help and support that would be available now.

While trying to help my son, I'm also trying to figure out if there is anything I can do to help myself. I had yet another lightbulb moment today when I realized my tendency to be late and to say "I have to stop playing with you now so I can go start dinner" for *15 minutes* or even longer is the same thing my son struggles with when he has a hard time with transitions. I'm not sure what's available and am very interested in learning more and seeing if I can grow out of some of my behavior patterns.
Angela
Heya.

I'm an adult who was diagnosed with SPD (hypersensitivity mostly) just a few months ago. There's lots of things that will hopefully help you, as well as your son. See whether you can see an OT just for you. I've found brushing very helpful, weighted blankets, something to fiddle with like a stress ball when I'm out places, blocking things out with music, yoga, etc.

Best of luck to you!!!