SPD Support Forum

Full Version: SPD camp in Maine - any news?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I read elsewhere on this site that the site founder is working to develop a summer camp for SPD kids somewhere in Maine. Are there any updates on this? I desperately need a break - it is now 29 months since I have had 24 hours to myself (I'm a single parent), and some days it feels like I will never again be able to take a deep breath, ya know?

Anyhow, I am hoping to hear that the camp will up and running for summer 2012!
Hi Marci.

Yes, I am sorry I have not been posting updates on this, but I have yet to get a recent update from Michelle about this. Her Facebook page has posts going back to October that say it's coming along nicely though. Smile

I intend to call her soon and get a good, solid update on how progress is going. I thank you for your interest in this, for sure. So few people have responded with their interest in attending such a camp, and it surprises me considering what all the camp will provide! (I suppose it's the location that sets people off?)

Anyhow, I'll post here again once I have a good update. Smile
The apparent lack of interest may be simply because there isn't enough info out there yet for people to know how to get involved. I'm not on Facebook so I don't have access to anything posted there. I just keep checking this site for info on it. Any updates would be appreciated!

Actually the thing I'd most like to know at this point in time is an approximate date - we'll be going to a special program (not SPD related) in New Hampshire August 19 to 24, and Maine is right next door. I'd love to have my son at an SPD camp near those dates.
Any updates on camp? Might it happen this summer? Is there a link you could share with more info?
I live in the uk and we don't have much info on SPD. We don't even have any groups to join let alone a camp for them.

Maybe you could come over and do a camp here Smile
Did the dream of a camp die? I haven't seen anything on it on the web for over a year.
(06-25-2012, 01:22 PM)Marci Wrote: [ -> ]Did the dream of a camp die? I haven't seen anything on it on the web for over a year.

I certainly hope it hasn't!

I need to talk to Michelle. It's been real quiet. She said she would be updating me and sending me photos and... nothing. :/

I'll try to get in touch with her soon. I know they built their own home and were planning the other lodgings, but I don't know how much progress they've made. It may be a lot; it may be none. I will post updates as soon as I have them. Thanks for bringing this up. Smile
(06-25-2012, 02:11 PM)Dan Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-25-2012, 01:22 PM)Marci Wrote: [ -> ]Did the dream of a camp die? I haven't seen anything on it on the web for over a year.

I certainly hope it hasn't!

I need to talk to Michelle. It's been real quiet. She said she would be updating me and sending me photos and... nothing. :/

I'll try to get in touch with her soon. I know they built their own home and were planning the other lodgings, but I don't know how much progress they've made. It may be a lot; it may be none. I will post updates as soon as I have them. Thanks for bringing this up. Smile

Hey Dan,
You are doing a great thing!!!! Now about the camp..do you know where in Maine it is going to be? My kids are too old for cam now, but I have a great love for a camp i went to in in Maine as a kid and curious if this has any connection to that.
hug..and so many of them
Sarah
(09-26-2012, 04:08 AM)Indy1 Wrote: [ -> ]Hey Dan,
You are doing a great thing!!!! Now about the camp..do you know where in Maine it is going to be? My kids are too old for cam now, but I have a great love for a camp i went to in in Maine as a kid and curious if this has any connection to that.
hug..and so many of them

Well, I have still yet to get in contact with Michelle for an update on this, though not for lack of trying, heh. You raised a few points here, so I have a few responses.

First off, your kids aren't too old, and neither are you! This camp is going to be for people of all ages and their families. That's right; it's a family camp. Adults and teens would be welcomed as much as families with small children.

The land that Michelle got is up in Aristook County, which is in the very northeastern corner of the state. It'll be somewhere around the Caribou/Presque Isle area.

Also, I doubt it is of any affiliation. Michelle lived in Florida up until moving up there just recently. She is starting this camp independently, but with the support of many OT clinics and SPD organizations. We are also working on becoming a 501c3 non-profit organization so that we can expand our donations program for the project. Last I heard, Michelle is also working with the local government and stuff to help get things moving.

I will let everyone know about progress as soon as I have a good update. Thanks for asking about it though. Smile
I would love to know more about this camp. I am a single mom as well with 3 boys and think it would be great for all of us. My son is 6 with SPD and my twins are 3. I hope to hear something soon. Please let us know. Thank you.
Pages: 1 2